Monday 8 August 2022

A handcart was given to Bhanuben with the help of our tool support program ...

 

Mittal Patel meets Bhanuben 


We will give a handcart to Bhanuben and some capital to start a business selling vegetables.

"Who is Bhanuben? What is her age?" I asked obvious questions when one of our team members mentioned the above.

"Bhanuben is here at our office; let us meet her," he responded.

"A very frail-looking lady with an equally frail voice entered my office.

"Do you know the business of selling vegetables?" I asked.

"My husband was a vegetable vendor; I would accompany him sometimes. Hence, I know certain things but will learn on the job, Didi!"

"What work do you do at present?"

"I work as domestic help, but an  income of Rs. 3000 is insufficient to feed my two children and parents-in-law," Bhanuben responded. 

"What went wrong with your husband?"

"Cancer. My husband was addicted to gutka masala; he would not listen to any of my pleas to stop eating the gutka. As a result, he was diagnosed with cancer of the mouth. We got him operated on, but the doctor said he would never be cancer free because cancer had spread in the body. My husband heard the doctors say this and committed suicide." Bhanuben was emotional by the time she finished this statement. She would be 27ish years old, and her husband passed away two years ago.

"You re-married?"

"I don't want to marry again. I want to focus on raising my children well and educating them. I want to live for them."

"what difference will a handcart bring to your life?

"It will make a difference, Didi. I don't have money to buy a handcart. If I get into selling vegetables, I will make a decent income. My house is a kuccha one-room house with a leaking roof; my father-in-law remains ill. I question why god has granted me so much pain. I don't have parents, just a sister as a family. Whenever possible, sends Rs. 500-1000. She is my strength and support. But I am tired now; if I had no children to look after, I too would have decided to end my life." Tears rolled down Bhanuben's eyes.

I am astonished by the sheer negligence of people with addictions towards their families.

"Didi, Hirenbhai tells me that you also operate a hostel. I wish to enrol my children into it." The life lessons Bhanuben has learned under her given  circumstances 

A handcart was given to Bhanuben while we worked towards getting her a proper house.

"Will God give me happiness?" on her way out, she comes back from the main gate to ask me this.

આપણે ભાનુબહેનને શાકભાજીનો વેપાર કરવા લારી આપીશું ને ધંધો શરૃ કરવા થોડા રૃપિયા પણ...

અમારા કાર્યકરે આ વાત કહી એટલે સાહજીક થયું ભાનુબહેનની પસંદગી કેમ? એમની ઉંમર શું?

જવાબમાં ભાનુબહેન આવ્યા છે મળી લઈએ એવું કાર્યકરે કહ્યું ને, ભાનુબહેન મારા કાર્યલયમાં આવ્યા. શરીરે દુબળા, અવાજ પણ સાવ ઝીણો..

મે પુછ્યું, તમને શાકભાજીનો વેપાર આવડે છે. 

મારા ઘરવાળા એ કરતા હું ક્યારેક એમની સાથે જતી. એટલે થોડું ફાવે છે પણ કરી લઈશ દીદી.

હાલ કામ શું કામ કરો?

કચરા પોતા કરવા જવું છું. પણ એમાં ઝાઝુ મળતું નથી. 3000 જેવું મળે એમાં મારા બે બાળકો અને સાસુ સસરાનું પુરુ કરવાનું. થોડું મુશ્કેલ થાય છે. ઘરવાળાને શું થયેલું?કેન્સર.. વ્યસન કરતા. હું ઘણું ના પાડતી પણ એ માને નહીં. મોંઢાનું કેન્સર થયું. ઓપરેશન કરવાનું હતું. એ વખતે ડોક્ટરે મને કહ્યું, ઓપરેશન પછી પણ એ ઝાઝુ નહીં કાઢે. મૂળ કેન્સર પ્રસરી ગયું છે. મારા ઘરવાળા આ સાંભળી ગયા ને એમણે આત્મહત્યા કરી..

આટલું કહેતા ભાનુબહેન ઢીલા થઈ ગયા..  એમની ઉંમર છવ્વીસ કે અઠ્ઠાવીસની હશે.. બે વર્ષ પહેલાં પતિ ગુજરી ગયા. 

તમે બીજા લગ્ન?

ના દીદી હવે નથી કરવા.. મારા બે બાળકો છે એમને ભણવવા છે. એમના માટે જીવવું છે.. લારીથી જીંદગીમાં ફરક પડશે? પડશે દીદી.. મારી પાસે લારી ખરીદવા પૈસા નથી  પણ લારી મળે તો કામની સાથે સાથે શાકભાજીનો વેપાર થાય તો આવક વધે.. હાલ ઘર પણ ઠેકાણા વગરનું છે. એક રૃમ છે. ચોમાસામાં પતરાંમાંથી પાણી પડે. ઘરમાં બિમાર સસરા.. ક્યારેક થાય ભગવાને આટલું દુઃખ કેમ દીધું. પિયરમાં પણ એક બહેન સિવાય કોઈ નથી. મા-બાપ પણ નથી.. બહેન ક્યારેક 500 -1000 મોકલી આપે. હીંમત એ ઘણી આપે. પણ થાકી ગઈ છું. બાળકો ન હોત ને તો મે પણ એમના જેવો જ રસ્તો અપનાવી લીધો હોત...

આટલું કહેતા ભાનુબહેનની આંખોમાંથી બોર જેવડાં આંસુ વહેવા માંડ઼્યા. સાંત્વના તો આપવાની જ હોય..

પણ વ્યસ્ન કરનાર વ્યક્તિઓ પરિવારની કેમ ચિંતા નહીં કરતા હોય એ પ્રશ્ન હંમેશાં થાય..

ભાનુબહેનને કહ્યું, દીદી મને હીરેનભાઈએ કહ્યું કે તમે હોસ્ટેલ પણ ચલાવો તે મારા બે બાળકોને હું ત્યાં મુકવા ઈચ્છુ છુ.... 

કેવી સરસ સમજણ કદાચ સમયની થપાટે તેમને આ બધુ સમજાવ્યું.એમનું ઘર સરખુ કરવાનું પણ કરી આપીશું.. ને લારી તો આપવાની જ હોય...

એ મારા કાર્યલયમાંથી બહાર નીકળી રહ્યા હતા દરવાજે પહોંચી પાછા વળીને અમણે કહ્યું, 

ભગવાન મને સુખ આપશે?

#MittalPatel #vssm

No comments:

Post a Comment