Sunday 27 January 2019

VSSM always remains grateful to its donors for helping bring change in lives of individuals like Virambhai Raval


Virambhai Raval at his koisk

Virambhai Tadshibhai Raval resides in Khaakal village that sits just next to Radhanpur Highway. Virambhai’s family consists of wife and three children. Few years back Virambhai owned a camel cart just like most families in his community do. Camel cart is still an accepted mode of transporting goods in many rural parts of Gujarat. The income from this profession remains very irregular as there are days they find work and some when finding work remains a challenge. As the kids grew the need for funds to support their education etc. also grew and Virambhai remained short of money always. Hence, he decided to shift his profession and plunged into setting up a roadside kiosk that

Virambhai Raval's puncture shop next to his kiosk

would sell packaged snacks etc.


“Why did you decide to stop ferrying camel cart and start a shop?” we inquired.

“Ben, it has been 10 years I started the kiosk. Initially, it helped me supplement my income from camel-cart. But, since the kiosk was strategically situated on highway the business picked up fast. The income was enough to run the household and save extra for emergency needs. I needed some capital to expand my business. And that is when I got in touch with VSSM’s Mohanbhai who approved an interest free loan of Rs. 10,000 for me. I expanded the kiosk into a shop with popular demand, we now also have a tea stall next to the shop and a puncture shop too. My elder son studies in 8th grade, he and my wife help me with running and managing this shop. It is only because of their support I could think of expanding my business.  I manage to earn Rs. 300 to 350 daily. When sets summers in the business is brisk as we begin to sell cold drinks too. I have set a rule wherein I keep aside Rs. 30 to 40 daily. This amount was used to pay the loan instalment. A habit that had helped me be regular with instalments. I have paid off the loan but I plan to continue with this habit because it will help me build my savings. I have begun building a house from the money I have managed to save so far.”

Individuals like Virambhai are a rarity within nomadic communities who with their own understanding and enterprise manage their business and finances well. “We do not have any inheritance or huge bank balances, regular savings help us during medical emergencies and some unwarranted financial emergencies. This business is my capital and thanks to VSSM for enabling me grow my capital in such a manner.”

VSSM always remains grateful to its donors for helping bring change in lives of individuals like Virambhai.


રાધનપુર હાઇવેથી અડીને આવેલું ખાખલ ગામ. ખાખલ ગામમાં વસવાટ કરતા વિરમભાઇ તળશીભાઈ રાવળ. પરિવારમાં પત્ની અને ત્રણ બાળકો. એક સમયે વિરમભાઇ ઊંટલારી હાંકતા. એ સમયે ક્યારેય કામ મળતું અને ક્યારેક ના મળે. આ ઊંટલારીના કામમાં ઘરનું જેમ તેમ કરી ચાલી જાતું. વિરમભાઇના બાળકો હવે મોટા થતા હતા તેથી તેમને હંમેશા એ ચિંતા રહેતી કે બાળકોને ભણાવવા છે તો ખર્ચો પણ વધશે. આ ઊંટલારીમાં આ બધું પરવડે તેમ નહોતું. તેમણે કંઈક અલગ કરવાનું વિચાર્યું અને તેમણે રાધનપુર હાઇવે પર પાર્લરની એક દુકાન કરી. તેમને એવું પૂછ્યું કે અચાનક ઊંટલારીનું કામ બંધ કરી દુકાન કેમ કરી? તો તેઓ કહ્યુ...
“ બેન, દુકાન કરે તો દસ વર્ષ જેવું થઇ ગયું. પહેલા નાનકડો ગલ્લો હતો. શરૂઆતમાં થોડી તકલીફ થઇ પણ પછી હાઇવે એટલે વાહનોની અવરજવર વધારે એટલે ધંધો જામતો ગયો અને ઘરનું પુરૂ થઇ ગયા બાદ થોડી થોડી બચત પણ થવા લાગી. હવે નાની દુકાનમાંથી મોટી દુકાન કરવાની ઈચ્છા હતી પણ થોડી મૂડીની જરૂર હતી. (VSSMના કાર્યકર) મોહનભાઈને આ વિશે વાત કરતા સંસ્થામાંથી મને વગર વ્યાજની રૂપિયા ૧૦,૦૦૦ની લોન મળી. જેમાંથી મેં ગલ્લામાંથી દુકાન કરી. દુકાનમાં સામાન લેવા લોકો આવે અને ઘણીયે વાર મને કહે, તમે ચા પણ રાખતા હોવ તો? એટલે પછી દુકાનમાં જ એક બાજુ ચા બનાવવાનું પણ ચાલુ કર્યું અને હવે તો તેની સાથે સાથે ટાયર પંચરનું કામ પણ ચાલુ કરી દીધું છે. મારો મોટો છોકરો જે હાલ આઠમાં ધોરણમાં અભ્યાસ કરે છે તે અને મારી પત્ની પણ મને આ કામમાં મદદ કરે છે. તેથી જ તો હું આ દરેક કામ સંભાળી શકું છું. આમ તો રોજના રૂપિયા ૩૦૦ થી ૩૫૦ જેવો ધંધો થઇ જાય છે. ઉનાળામાં ઠંડા પીણા વધારે વેચાય એટલે આવક વધી જાય. જે આવક થાય તેમાંથી નક્કી કરેલું જ કે રોજના રૂપિયા ૩૦ કે ચાલીસ હપ્તા માટેના અલગથી કાઢીને મૂકી દેવાના અને તેથી જ હું નિયમિત હપ્તા ભરી શક્યો. હવે તો મારી લોન પણ પૂરી થઇ ગઈ. હાલ રોજના રૂપિયા ૩૦ થી ચાલીસ અલગથી નીકળી જ જાય છે અને આમ મારી બચત કરવાની ટેવ પણ પડી ગઈ. કરેલી બચતમાંથી જ હાલ ઘર બનાવવાનું કામ ચાલુ છે.”
બચત કેમ કરવી પડે ના જવાબમાં વિરમભાઇ કહે...
“ બચત તો કરવી જ પડે. બચત હોય તો સાજા માંદે કામ આવે. બચતથી જ તો મકાન બનાવવાની શરૂઆત કરી. અમારી પાસે જમીન જાગીરી જેવું તો કશું છે નહીં. જે છે એ આ ધંધો છે એ જ અમારો પોતાનો અને એ જ અમારી મૂડી, એ જ અમારો આધાર. સંસ્થાએ મદદ કરી તેથી મારો ધંધો વધ્યો...”
આમ તો પોતાની સમજણથી જ વિરમભાઇ આગળ વધ્યા છે. દાતાઓ પાસેથી મળેલા અનુદાનથી જ વિરમભાઇ જેવા લોકોના જીવનમાં ઉજાસ આવી રહ્યો છે. તે માટે VSSMમાં અનુદાન આપનાર આપના ખૂબ ખૂબ આભાર...

No comments:

Post a Comment